Solitaire (also known as Patience or Klondike) is a popular single-player card game. This app by MobilityWare is a faithful recreation of the game featuring a very clean and unobtrusive presentation. The key to it being recommended over all of the many other versions available is the extensive range of accessibility options offered that allows the user to customise many aspects of the game's rules and design. These include customisation of the card faces, card backs and screen background and the options to provide inactivity prompts, guarantee a 'winning deal' and change the control method (see below for our recommended settings).
This app has been tested by people living with dementia in a recent study and some difficulties were observed involving the control method and the unintentional triggering of the menu bar. However, through a collaboration with the developers of the app (MobilityWare), there are now extra options to address these issues and also to include a more emphatic auto-prompt feature (see image above).
There is a free, ad-supported version of the app which we recommend as the presence of adverts is minimal (only between games), however there is a premium version for those who would like to remove all adverts completely.
Access the options by tapping on the 'Settings' icon on the menu bar. These are our recommended settings when introducing the game.
- Sound Control (user preference)
- Animations & Sounds (user preference)
- Draw 3 (turn Off for an easier game)
- Hints (Auto)
- Score (None)
- Vegas Cumulative (Off)
- Winning Deals (Control the slider to increase or guarantee the chance of a 'winning deal')
- Orientation (user preference)
- Congratulations Screen (On)
- Game Center Enabled (Off)
- Tap Move (Auto, unless 'drag-and-drop' is preferred (below), in which case turn Off)
- Time/Moves (Off)
- Right Handed (user preference)
- Change Card Backs/Background (default Blue on Green contrasts well, or user preference)
- Change Card Faces (3rd from top, or user preference)
- Change Card Sports (3rd from top, or user preference)
- Drag-and-Drop (Off, or user preference, but if turning On, change Tap Move (above) Off)
- Swipe To Toggle Toolbar (On)
- Emphasised Auto Hint (Off)